PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 18:08
Lost in Saigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look now at the second image of the other engine and you will see that the turbine blades are all intact even though the nacelle has hit the ground quite hard and scooped in a lot of dirt in the process. This engine was not rotating at impact and therefore could not have been producing any thrust.

As is also witnessed by the BA incident, a total loss of thrust below 1000' can be brought so a safe outcome given favourable terrain.

Originally Posted by Magplug
@Lost In Saigon

My post was intended as an illustration of turbine damage in answer to another contributor's question, not a post mortem on the BA777 incident. I thought that was made clear.
I am sorry, but I must point out again that both your post, and the article you link to, are in error. I just want to correct your misleading information so that no one gets led astray in regards to this accident.

The BA777 did not have a total loss of thrust, and the lack of visible damage to the right engine didn't prove a thing.

The visible condition of the Turkish 737's engines also don't mean a thing at this point.