PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 11:17
Seymour Skinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The eye witness accounts of a lack of engine noise do seem to be quite consistent in this accident. Included in that is the fact that surviving passengers seem to be convinced that the aircraft ran out of fuel. Now clearly the passengers would have no idea of the fuel state of the aircraft and possibly wouldn't recognise a double engine failure in any case but I would have expected them to notice a last minute application of go-around thrust and at least subconsciously associate that with running engines. These reports do suggest that there was no application of go-around thrust before impact.

I find this very strange if both engines were running. I can see how an aircraft could get low and slow and get well behind the drag curve without technical failure but I find it hard to accept that the pilots would get it so far out of shape as to contact the ground without shoving the thrust levers fully forward. I can see that they might do this too late to save the aircraft but an aircraft producing full thrust makes a lot of noise and the witness comments from within the aircraft and from the ground seem to indicate that no such noise was heard. I'm not making any rash judgements by this observation just that I find it strange that go around thrust does not appear to have been selected prior to impact based on the various witness statements released thus far.

Mmmayday38:-

Please don't take offence at this but I find it very hard to believe that you are who you say you are. PPRuNe is of course an anonymous forum where anyone can pretend to be anyone else. I'm not saying that you are not the Captain of the crashed BA 777 at LHR but we have no way of knowing either way and this forum does attract some strange people. You have only just registered on PPRuNe with a user name relating to that incident and it seems very unlikely to me that the true Captain of that crashed aircraft would just pop up on PPRuNe after all this time in this way. I doubt British Airways would allow it in any case. If you are who you say you are then respect to you but I suspect very much that you are not.