PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 08:47
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I assume that in simulator training on the A320 that the student only takes it to "recognition" of a stall and not a full stall? Is the sim able to simulate a full stall?
Our training is firstly the "Normal Law" charateristics of Approach to Stall, and the "protections" and the recovery actions. Secondly the Alternate / Direct Law where you now get a Stall Warning (audio) and the Recovery Actions. You do not, IIRC, "stall it" fully, and doubt the sim would reproduce this accurately?

Are you A320 qualified?
My First Officer's would probably say not. 5 years command... and current now.

you should not get a Stall Warning in Normal Law

There's a caveat in the FCOM: you can get stall warning in the normal law if AoA probe is damaged.
My reading of the FCOM is that the "Stall Warning" is still available, just in Normal Law the protections should avoid you getting to that stage. In this case, some Normal Law malfunction (?) AoA Probes? seems to have led to a genuine Normal Law Stall Warning (maybe from the 3rd AoA probe not on the FDR?)

Methinks that shock from experiencing the stall in "unstallable" aeroplane may prevent crew from noticing "USE MAN PITCH TRIM" caption on top of their PFDs and acting accordingly.
One would hope that people flying Test Profiles are suitably briefed and trained... for what eventualities are possible with each test area...

It seems to me that in the last few seconds that the 2 elevators (green* line on p. 34) reversed to what the stick input (blue) was.

Anybody have any idea why ?
My guess is to limit the pitch rate / 'g' as per Altn Law demands...

NoD