PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RJ 100s at BA EOG
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2002, 07:56
Sheepslagger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Illogical Bigtrousers.

If two aircraft arrive together, one big, one small, then I can see the prioritising of the bigger - not for any logical reason, but purely because of its size, it happens all the time.
The logistician would say that the total time taken to process both aircraft is a constant, and therefore, given a similar departure time for their respective next sector, the smaller aircraft will be delayed much more than the bigger, should the bigger be turned round first. Therefore it makes sense to actually process the smaller aircraft first, as it will be completed much sooner.

Unfortunately, what happens is that the bigger aircraft is often processed first, even when it arrives AFTER the smaller one, and has a much later departure slot than it's smaller colleague. Thus, the end result is a very late smaller aircraft, leading to extreme unpopularity of BA Handling (from the smaller crew) and BA generally (by the smaller aircraft's pax). It is impossible to set a time constraint, ie Big aircraft always first up to a ten minute cutoff of disparity in arrival times - so the system becomes illogical both in planning, as well as as execution.

If YOU had been consistently de-prioritised by BA handling, you might see matters a little differently. The real tragedy of logic is that it is still a BA passenger, (on the smaller aircraft) who is the real loser. He flies with lo-cost next time, thus we all lose.

The inability of pilot groupings to work together is quite cosmic, I sometimes think we deserve the shafting that management hand out - you don't see management berating each other in public forums, and squabbling over Ts &Cs.

Sorry to have gone off message on this thread, but everyone else does. My next bid is for an RJ!!