PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2009, 16:27
la2uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tragedy in EHAM / AMS

I'm responding to one post talking specifically about fuel starvation.
It is highly unlikely, although not impossible, that fuel starvation is an issue. If fuel was starved because of a fuel leak, then it would be noticed and rectified either by diversion or x-feed shut-off or engine (1 of) shutdown or other remedial action. You don't notice you've no fuel left once on finals, although it has happened (B747 arrives at LHR and engines shut down during taxi - airline name with-held). We will have to wait for the CVR and FDR to give further indication there.
As for fuel used, a typical B737-800 (I've used CFM56 fitted engines here) on a sector LTBA - EHAM using todays weather for an 0530Z departure would require trip fuel for 3 hrs 12 mins and dependent on TK fuel policy, would have around 4 hrs of fuel on board to include diversion (assuming EHRD) and contingency / reserves (I used 5% in calculation). That equates to approximately 10,700kgs of fuel - pilots will know but others may not - jet aircraft are not generally fuelled in litres, but by weight - either LBS or KGS - as fuel volume differs from its' weight due to temperature, altitude of airport ASL, etc. I did not include destination mvr fuel, but did include 30 minutes of hold at 1167 kgs. As aircraft did not divert, reserves are still assumed aboard on landing.

If you want facts - there they are. BBC and SKY news should be in possession of facts like that before they start any conjecture. Maybe they are but it helps everyone to know the starting point and work on from there.

Before we can speculate on any starvation issue, we need to get more facts like fuel remaining during the dsc, which may be obtained from the FDR.

All FD Crew lost - sad, very sad. My condolences to THY Flight Dispatch and Crew personnel and their families, and whatever the cause, I'm sure the professionalism of the crew dealing with the emergency contributed to the fact that out of 135 souls falling vertically, they saved 126.