PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin trains RAAF pilots
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2002, 00:24
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The instrument rating thing is still a bone of contention. When flying the draggy a few years back we would organise in advance with a Melbourne based ATO to sit in the jump seat.

We would fly from East Sale (Via an IFR NAVEX with the usual spate of multiple emergencies/diversions etc) to ML to pick up the ATO. Out of ML for an ILS and an NDB with some emergencies thrown in to tick the boxes (initiated by the military QFI with the ATO observing from the jump seat).

Back to ML for debrief/quiz and then back to ESL via another NAVEX and the continuation of the military IRT.

I always looked forward to the bit with the ATO. The guy we generally took (Peter Salvair) was an ex F111 driver so was obviously familiar with the military IRT, but had plenty of RPT exposure as well due to his dealings with the airline world. He provided invaluable cross pollenation of ideas from the airlines, some of which we incorporated into our own SOPs. Another win/win for all concerned. The pilot has his civil IRT renewed and the squadron gains some good ideas, I would hope maybe even Peter got something from it also. Aside from that it was also the least stressful part of the IRT.

When the B200s were still on the civil register, CASA approved one of the squadron QFIs as an ATO for the purposes of renewing civil IRTs on that aircraft which was a big step forward (G'day Bimbo). Unfortunately it was revoked when the aircraft went onto the military register.

Oh I wasn't going to respond to PFM but since I'm here, why not. Service pilots who were flying during the dispute were doing so under orders from our superiors. To refuse would have resulted in charges for insubordination. To make a comment such as yours using the 'S' word shows you to be a self centered ignoramous. I see from your signature what you spend most of your time doing!!!