PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2009, 14:23
Brian McGrath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont know if any of you guys can gain anything from these reports on the BBC from passengers and people on the ground

Page last updated at 15:11 GMT, Wednesday, 25 February 2009

Turkish plane crash: witnesses
Passengers and eyewitnesses have been describing what they saw when a Turkish Airlines plane crashed on landing at Amsterdam's Schiphol international airport.

Kerem Uzel, passenger
"We were at an altitude of 600m (2,000 feet) when we heard the announcement that we were landing.

"We suddenly descended a great distance as if the plane fell into turbulence. The plane's tail hit the ground. It slid from the side of the motorway into the field."

Huseyin Sumer, passenger
"We were about to land, we could not understand what was happening. Some passengers screamed in panic but it happened so fast."

Unidentified passenger
"The first thing I did was take the children who were walking around there in the plane. That's the first thing you're thinking about. We immediately brought the children outside the plane."

Tuncer Mutluhan, passenger
"While we were making a normal landing it felt like we fell into a void, the plane lost control, suddenly plunged and crashed.

"It all happened in three or five seconds. There was panic after that."

Thomas Freidhoff, eyewitness
"[The plane] completely lost propulsion or couldn't glide anymore, and you clearly saw it come down several tens of metres and come to a quite sudden stop.

"The plane was nose up and the tail section was at a 45-degree angle. Seconds after the crash people started exiting through the tail section - 15-20 people, all of them, of course, frightened.

"Minutes after that they were climbing back in to get more passengers, who were slightly injured."

Jonathan Nip, local resident
"The whole of the aeroplane, without any wings or front or rear end, is lying in the field and there are about 50 ambulances, a lot of firetrucks, a couple of helicopters, emergency helicopters, a lot of police, a lot of sirens.

"It wasn't really a big crash, or a loud noise because the plane isn't that far from the runway so I think it wasn't going that fast or it wasn't that high to really make a big impact."

Nikolai van der Smagt, local worker
"I saw the plane lying there in three pieces.

"The first people were just getting off the plane and they looked confused. There was a lot a dust, but no fire."

Relative at Schiphol airport
"l managed to speak to my children and my family who were in the plane. They said there was panic on board, incredible, people were shouting: 'Get us out of here! Get us out of here!'"

Unidentified local resident
"We were inside in the house and we heard a smack, and we thought it was on the freeway.

So we got a cell phone and called, and somebody said: 'There is an aeroplane in your land.'"