PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA and the DC-9
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2009, 11:09
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pedota, I can confirm one of your tales - the 'roll on' technique used to land the -9 (by AN at least). A mini flare when you figured it was right, then a smooth but positive push forward of the yoke to oooozzze the mains on (if you got it right!!).

It's been said a half dozen times already on this thread, but from a pilot's point of view at least, it really was the creme de la creme of airliners.

In retrospect, (as I'm about to go to bed to rest before a 14 hour fight), one of the really good things about the -9 was its lack of endurance. It was like a wind up toy - you filled her up with Avtur and went like hell to get back on the ground before the spring wound down, which even with full tanks, would be no longer than 4 hours later. Bliss!

This lack of endurance, (along with the Sydney curfew), usually ensured -9 crews of gentlemen's hours, (unless you were trekking in the dead of night up the north west coast of WA).

I have to admit though that the lack of endurance made for some... shall we say *put hairs on your chest* do I divert or don't I decision making, especially on the evening milk run between BNE and CNS when the Queensland weather was not at its best and at Rockie and Mackay at least, non precision approaches the only option you had to get in.

I recall doing that trip one night with one of the most senior Sydney-based hosties in the company as the senior FA. To say she was a hard-bitten old boiler (thanks for that, Sir Reg) would be the understatement of all time. (I'm told she had the franchise for the lemon all the Sydney girls sucked each day at sign on.) We made it in to Mackay, breaking visual right on the minima after being shaken like a small toy from TOPD with 100 lbs above min divert fuel, and the rain that was coming down as we taxied in was almost a solid sheet of water.

She stuck her head into the cockpit as we turned off the runway and said "I will never again say that you guys are overpaid."

Of course she did.