PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAL refusing to takeoff at Logan due to ship
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 22:20
VONKLUFFEN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dani Dani Dani boy

...Bring it on, guys. I can handle it.

I just tell you: Your E/O path is calculated for IFR conditions. If you see that there is an obstacle, if you know that it's not in your way and if you know that you can do a turn of 1 or 2 degrees even single engine (well at least I can do it, I'm not sure about the grey-haired ones), then you certainly can assume that you can make it.

That's what I mean with common sense.

Reflect yourself. Even you (when you still where young) could do such "calculation". And you remember that your pilot's everyday life consists constantly of such assumptions. If you couldn't do that, you couldn't fly anymore. Or are you also one of such guys who declines a visual approach (there could be an obstacle somewhere!!) or don't allow your collegues to make a visual separation 5NM behind you through your level (he could suddenly stop in the air!!!!)? I'm so glad that I don't have to share my cockpit with you

Dani...

My dear Dani:
I have the impression you are a young man. There is nothing you can do to avoid it. However, you should listen to the universe.
Assumptions do not count in the court of law, nor when life of people are in your hands.
Common sense is the last sense you should trust, if at all.
To the content of your second paragraph much can be said or with good CRM discuss. (One thing I need to mention though,I would be glad to share a flight with you, I really would.)
Last but not least, nothing is constant in life, only change is.
Your hair will become gray some day into the future...
And dont forget grave yards are full of brave and smart pilots.

Respectfully submitted,
The old bold man. ( Luckily no gray hair...)

Last edited by VONKLUFFEN; 23rd Feb 2009 at 07:31.