PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR - Recovering large numbers of survivors.
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 22:05
SASless

Received 573 Likes on 235 Posts
Sasless - the RAF don't use divers/rescue swimmers because we don't think putting another person free in the water (even if he is a God-like swimmer) is a sensible way to do things. ......... On decks, we prefer to deliver the winchman to the deck rather than have him swim to it and then climb up the side (lots of fun in a big sea state).
Crab dear fellow.....I know the RAF is a very new service and is working hard at building some traditions and all....but perhaps this "If was good enough for Wellington...." approach to SAR is not the right way to go about that.

The first half of your comment flies in the face of operational experience of many different SAR units in the world. Yet another spanner in the tool kit that could be used as needed but if not carried cannot.

The second part of the comment shows your lack of understanding of how Rescue Swimmers are used. I reckon some of that is from not being involved in that kind of operation but mostly comes from your inability to look outside your own window at the world about you.

As an aside.....our Rescue Swimmers do not consider themselves "God Like" but I will bet you most of the folks they met in the water certainly do.

Has your service ever sent a crewman over to our side of the water on an exchange where the fellow did a Rescue Swimmer course as a method of assessing the technique and actually seeing what is done by the Swimmer?