PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - McRae Crash & Fatal Accident Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 09:57
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EN48 - I would stand by my original quote in full (below), rather than the abridged version you use.
The bottom line is that the psychology of pilots invariably leads to us trying to find both our limits, and that of our aircraft, at some stage.
Having been to, and studied for, numerous flight safety, CRM & CRMI symposia over the years, it is apparrent that all pilots have an underlying psychological makeup that includes an element of risk taking - it's a healthy part of keeping alive, if it's viewed & managed sensibly.
Professionally, finding both limits of machine and individual are not unhealthy pursuits - again, if viewed & managed sensibly, and one at a time! As I said in my post of 14th Feb
- if you don't know where the line is, you'll never know when you're getting close to it.
Colin McRae would not have been as successful, spectacular or as exciting in his driving career if he had not tested himself & his car to, and beyond, the limits of both. It's interesting that all those enthusiastic photographer-spectators at rally events are invariably looking for that ultimate photo that shows just how close to, or beyond, the driver is putting his car to the limits, while still managing to get it home in one piece. A spectacular crash provides similar excitement, newsworthyness and thrills - although the immediate concern is always for the welfare of the occupants . . . when they survive unscathed they will "have learnt from the experience".

Like a downhill ski racer, the one who wins is the one who maintains his time in the "zone of control" for the least time, i.e. spends most time just beyond the limits! Sadly, in this case, it was in the nature of the beast - just a huge shame that the particular mode of transport was so unforgiving & also had other innocent parties aboard.