PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR - Recovering large numbers of survivors.
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 08:37
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further thoughts.........

Well I read all that and still think that a two-hoist two-door solution is a good way of speeding up the hoist rate in very particular scenario. Not for all of course but when you carry out a risk analysis of the scenarios around UK the large ship evac (too far for the basket and nowhere to cross-deck) scenario is one that scores high on the probability scale and high on the 'consequences' scale too. I think this idea has some legs. Only to be used in a low hover (less than 25 ft??) and needs to be a quick-fit option.

The basket too has a place in your armoury although I think you would need to 'long-line' it and is probably the only way you could effectively deal with a high-rise mass evac,

Remember the old saying:-

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

I'm a bit of a petrolhead and have a few tools in my tool-box that I have hardly ever used but when I did use them they were the ONLY tool for the job and I would have been snookered without them.

I would rather see a basket sit in the corner of a helideck or in the back of the hangar and never used than not have one when I needed it.

G