PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 21st Feb 2009, 20:55
Buster11

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
A bit earlier than the '80s, but this picture is from a B course at HCGIS at Detling which I was on as a CCF cadet in 1952, so it's certainly pre-glass. Among the instructors were Meddings and Derek Piggott ,who is still gliding and who I met this week at an RAeS lecture.

Anyhow, the cadet in the picture was a Liverpudlian whose name I forget, perhaps fortunately. As far as I recall he was flying a T31 and had a cable break or anyway was lower than desirable. For some reason, as we watched, he turned downwind, and disappeared over the hump in the middle of the airfield; shortly afterwards there was a God-awful clang. We proceded to the site of the noise which turned out to be a large metal-clad hangar, through the open doors of which our hero had either flown or slid, finally stopping when he hit the far wall. Unfortunately, propped against the wall, were the wings of the Sedbergh in which Piggott had earlier set an altitude record with a frozen ATC cadet as passenger, and which helped to soften the impact of the sharp end of the T31 with the hangar wall. The T31 driver survived uninjured but chastened.