PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR - Recovering large numbers of survivors.
Old 21st Feb 2009, 07:11
[email protected]

Received 696 Likes on 310 Posts
So you put a rescue swimmer/winchman on the deck to try and supervise the orderly loading of 16 (at a time) frightened people into your basket - then what? You still need another vessel to put them on so you can go back for the rest. If you have to fly them back for 50nm over the North Sea they will all have hypothermia by the time you get them to land. Much better in a warm cabin with a paramedic to look after them.

The chances are that in the event of a mass evacuation following a collision or fire, the passengers will be in liferafts/lifeboats and perfectly safe (if a little cold and seasick)- they are very unlikely to want to get into the water so you can put them in your basket, even if it does float.

TRC, I can see why you are pushing this device since you clearly have links with the manufacturers but I don't see UKSAR adopting this cage. I'm not sure if the CG S92s and 139 have USL hooks fitted, we don't for much of the time and someone would have to pay for the modifications to the aircraft.

Geoffers, I don't think there are any secret CG plans - whatever assets that are available will be sent, from both sides of the Channel (like with Zeebrugge), there are always more ships there than you can shake a stick at and they are all bound by law to assist. Can we guarantee no loss of life at sea following a major sinking/collision? No and we never will but providing the number of assets are available we will do the best we can.

Lt Fubar - I have seen video of the USCG trying to sweep casualties into the basket when there has been no rescue swimmer - it is one of the reasons I dislike the concept so much since a winchman would have saved them all - even healthy, fit people struggle in the water trying to get into a dinghy/boat/liferaft, what chance does a cold, injured casualty have?