PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sound of Wright vs Pratt Whitney (Super Constellation vs. DC4)
Old 21st Feb 2009, 01:37
jwagsfarm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help With Getting an R4360 Running

I've enjoyed your threads on Wasp Majors. I need your help, to the dismay of my wife, I now have one in my garage I'm working to get running. It is complete but without a prop. My best guess is that by inspection of the cowl brackets it was last on a Boeing 377. This engine was last used by P&W for generating wind gusts for turbine engine testing where I work. It last ran about twenty years a go. I've rebuilt the starter and fuel pump, diassembled the carb and ordered some diaphrams to start reassembly, replaced one of the Scintilla mags. And even though Graham White's book is a lot of help and I do have access to the P&W archives I still have some questions. I'm hoping this group will be able to help too.
Is there a port that shows when the engine is at TDC for A1 so I can check mag timing?
Is there a way to peek inside the mag gear case and prop gear case to check things out in there?
What pressure should I set the fuel pump at?
There are four ~1" connections to the intake manifold just in front of the carb at the top of the engine, where to these go or what are they used for?
Where is the best place to connect my fuel, oil and manifold gages?
What is the minimum oil tank size to run the engine for 5 minutes or so?
Do I have to get the mil spec oil?
How much fuel will it burn? Is 97 octane ok or do I have to get av gas?
What boost voltage do I need to energize the mags for spark at startup?
Does anyone know where there might be a club prop or ground damaged props I could cut down to install?
Does anyone know where an engine test stand might be located to save me from building a sturdier stand than what I have now?
What should I be checking for in the oil sump?
Well, there you have it. There are lots more questions but have run out right now. Any help you guys can provide will be appreciated.