PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR - Recovering large numbers of survivors.
Old 20th Feb 2009, 17:25
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shy and Unstable

Don't keep me guessing any longer - what was so intriguing about the twin hoist set-up. It's been a while but I seem to remember being told that it was to facilitate the rapid insertion of their SWAT team. ?????

In the days of the dear old S61 I had the fanciful notion that you could organise a quick-fit hoist over the air stair door then when the balloon went up - sorry, for our foreign colleagues - when disaster struck - and the day came to carry out mega-evac you pulled the pip-pins on the air stair, clipped on the No.2 hoist grabbed the second winch wiggler and, Robert's your mothers brother (Bob's your uncle for the non Anglos) you are good to go............... lowish hover over the winching spot and multo rapido pax uplift. At least the CG would be a bit more manageable. The lack of a CT7 retrofit unfortunately meant that you would be unlikely to have the oomph to make it all worthwhile.

Still the twin hoist S76 proves it can be done but on a ship that small it hardly seems worth the effort.

No input from the Channel Guardians I see.

G

G