PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR - Recovering large numbers of survivors.
Old 20th Feb 2009, 11:41
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK - So where are we?

We have contemplated a number of scenarios and concluded that any MRCC should have a range of options available and that the key issue is having a plan B that can cater for the 700 pax situation.

In the context of the English Channel are the range of options available to the Duty CG top secret? If not can we know what they are. Do they have access to enough helicopters, boats, baskets and do their sums add up?

Adverse weather can include low wind scenarios - fog for example - I know it wont help aviation assets but neither will it assist other vessels and the liklihood is that you will end up with a scattering of liferafts and lifeboats if they managed to get them away - which they may not. The aftermath of that could be a dog's breakfast.

I am happy to recognise the value of each asset in a particular context but but when push comes to shove the boat with the problem hasn't read the MRCC Handbook so is likely to require adaptability, flexibility, good comms and as many options as possible............ are they currently available I wonder?

G:

ok:

PS. Would you really plan on picking up 15 people in 15 minutes? Not me Chief. I think I would allow 30 mins and be happy if I didn't over-run.

PPS. Did you realise that a bunch of S76s was sold to HKAAF with a hoist on each side!! How did that work I wonder?