PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sound of Wright vs Pratt Whitney (Super Constellation vs. DC4)
Old 19th Feb 2009, 15:29
DC-ATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Fella -
For those who do not know, a PRT is a Power Recovery Turbine and it is not a "blower".
Yes, I'm aware of that. Not sure why I referred to it as a 'blower' in that post. I've sat between enough of those PRTs to know. They DO blow though.

-----
411A -
The CurtisWright turbocompound engine was a paragon of efficiency, but somewhat unreliable in service.
Many times that depended on how each company operated their 3350s. Those that went by Wright's manual normally did alright. Those that came up with their own power settings for whatever reason, sometimes did not fair so well. I flew the Shuttle in the Connies and we had a nice low power setting (short segments) and I think those things went 3000 hours TBO.

-----
You 4360 lovers: go to You Tube and do a search on the B-36. The one with the clip from the movie Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart has a good sound clip of one taking off.

-----
Spooky 2 -
I guess I'm fortunet as I flew the L1049H,DC6B/DC7C in airline service along with the C97 while in the Calif.
Me too almost, except the C97 as Passenger only. Didn't fly the -7C, but close; the -7B. Didn't fly the 1049H, but the 1049, 1049C, and G models. Great machines. Didn't get rated in the Connie, but did in the DC-6/7.

Last edited by DC-ATE; 19th Feb 2009 at 17:27.