PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RJ 100s at BA EOG
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2002, 13:50
Oswaldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Latest news from us here at BACE is that we have now, today, been formally told we are getting the RJs. For those of a suspicious mindset, we have not been SPECIFICALLY told when the training starts, and hence when we get into the flight deck. I can't help but wonder though, at the mindset of the BA people. There are categorically no people going to lose their jobs - they'll be absorbed by other fleets. I would bet anyone wanting to move to BACE will be able to, and at a more attractive package than the one they used to have with CFE. If not, then a different fleet at their present base. If they do lose a Command, then no loss of money anyway. Doesn't sound too drastic to me, though I must say I would be pretty disappointed to lose my LHS, (though I'd be more disappointed to keep it with a pay cut.
What on earth is the problem then? I think it is the union worrying about future potential encroachment onto other fleets, that's what!!! And it WILL happen chaps, not soon, but eventually.

And as for someone criticising our Flt Deck Crews, the guys I've spoken to relate a slightly different tale: one of astonishment by BA cabin crew that they are spoken to as human beings, that they are even allowed to converse with the high and mighty Flt Deck Crew at all. And to our relief, they are all fantastic people too, just like our own Cabin Crew, but somewhat better paid (and that's not their fault)
For the ground staff, can't argue directly, but such of our guys as I have spoken to report fantastic service at Gatwick, and an awful service at Birmingham. I CAN speak for Manchester, where we have always had to suck the hind teat, and generally been treated as second class operators, always being last to be serviced by handling etc. The BA union problem is most obvious of all at Manchester, very much a "not my job sir" or "we'll get to you when we've dealt with the other......" And this attitude in turn is probably created by under resourced, (though fantastically over paid) staff levels. And there, the one fact explains the other, methinks. Outsource the ground handling of BA and that would save a huge sum I would bet. Don't laugh, Sir Micky B has done that, and he was always more innovative than any of the BA placemen.

Hope some of that helps boys, lets all live together, work together, and stay in business for a bit longer eh?