PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL (H) at Redhill, Surrey, UK - Help please!
Old 18th Feb 2009, 20:49
Sliding Doors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle,

You can open the debate. It's another point for SC to possibly consider.

The very rough estimates I gave were for 50 hrs that were based on Datcons.
Some schools will add a 0.1 charge during training to any R44 flying. The explanation that will be offered is that the FI is paid per flying hour (usually Datcon based) in which case a 1hr lesson thats recorded as 0.9 flying will see the FI paid 0.9 only. That and the FTO's logic that even lever down the R44 is still burning fuel that has to be paid for.

So it may not quite save as much as you'd like/hope

FB,
I was merely teasing you. Sorry Couldn't resist

The advantage I found in the 300 is learning throttle control and trimming.
But on your logic those are skills you'd not need as much in an R44, and price must have played a part in your H300 decision too??

once you've got your PPL you probably want to fly something bigger, faster and with a better range
And that was my point. R22 to R44 with their similarities would be a simpler jump than an H300 to R44. SC is yet to finally decide what type he'll SFH in.

Any potential savings re Datcons or any other figure crunching could easily be outweighed by the time it may take getting used to Hyds failures and a shifting CoG - factors that aren't that relevant to an R22, and that are easier to handle IMHO once the basics are mastered.

No harm in trying both R22 and R44 for 30 mins and then making a choice though

For me cost was always an option