PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spinning - recommendations please
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2009, 10:24
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I can see your reasoning.

To be honest I think the way things are is fine if the person wants to go spinning they can and if they don't they don't.

Each person is different as has been said before the phase of flight which the pilot is most likely to encounter the conditions that a spin is possible is in the approach phase. And if they do manage to do all the wrong things and enter a spin it doesn't really matter who is driving the thing they are dead.

And as for the train for every situation its not going to happen in the time scales and to be honest most of the sutble aspects of flying you really need to revisit once you have a few hours of experience under your belt.

Personally I believe that if you teach the very basics properly ie attitude flying (and not this yank nonsense of looking at your instruments all the time), trimming, lookout and being smooth on the controls . This does more for preventing inadvertent spin entry than fannying about in unusual attitudes.

And I can't see how you can equip them for every eventuality the last 3 times I had to declare the problem wasn't in the QRH I had to make something up. What you can do though is give them very firm foundations with the core skills which they can build upon later.

And lister go and do some spinning in a glider its whole heap slower but they are mad bastards and do it bloody close to the ground and through clouds. I didn't mind the clouds to much but had a bit of a bum clentcher when the instructor spun it at 2000ft which to them it was high, to me who usually spun a tomahawk it was 4000ft to low.