PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spinning - recommendations please
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2009, 06:32
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I think spin training can be a double edged sword.

One side of me reckons that an hours worth doesn't really teach you anything meaningfull to effect a timely recovery if you in one and save the day. But what it does do is allow you to recognise the moments before the spin and usually scares the hell out of you so that those moments are embedded deep in your sub concious. Its more a method of installing a third sense of what attitude not to go near.

The other side says there is a danger you can scare the student to much and their sub conscious starts injecting an unfounded fear that they are going to spin at any moment in normal flight. It effects the learning curve after that

Now should you go and pay money to visit another school?

6 of one and half a dozen to be honest. You could go and pay heaps for some ex red arrow to dazzle you or you could just get some normal aero's instructor to show you. Personally if I was tight for cash I wouldn't bother. If I was ok for cash I do a normal aero's instructor. If I was minted I would go for the red arrow option.

I used to spin the PA38 once or twice a month when I worked as instructor, was quite comfortable doing it. I now know I probably really didn't have much clue what was going on. Unless I go back to instructing I really don't think I will be spinning an aircraft again.