PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flights at risk as pilots refuse to accept 'demeaning' ID cards
Old 18th Feb 2009, 02:30
md80fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The chip cannot tell, nor does it care, from what source the excitation signal originates from, whether it be a scanner on the ground, or a focussed beam from a blimp, or even a satellite. You could illuminate an entire city or country, and then pinpoint your personal ID amongst the masses. As long as the ID card's antenna is sufficiently illuminated, it has the power to transmit it's code....often (I say in real time).

RF in the direction of space is quite efficient, and can be accomplished with a fraction of a watt using a horrendous 3 inch rubber aerial (rubber ducky) on a walkie-talkie. 12 years ago, in the first year I had a Ham radio license, I was too nervous to talk to the Space Shuttle pilots....but my friend did, with a milliwatt talkie using a crappy rubber duck. Also, we were indoors. A great starting spark into the hobby.

ID chips transmit with really low power, but it's a digital transmission and VERY resitant to atmospheric degredation. A half decent antenna (the size of a DishTV dish) in orbit could easily function as both an illuminator/receiver, down to an individual ID card if necessary.

I have no proof of course, but it -has- to be possible by simple common-sense extrapolation. Other tasks of equal and related difficulty (satellite digital and RF) have been done for decades, nothing new.

The ID card devices are sold as a convenience, not needing to remove it, swipe it, display it to officers, to be effective. Perhaps I have been asleep, but when did swiping a ID/credit card become such an imposition that we are searching for alternatives at any cost?

You are all correct, you can securely, confidently identify yourselves with any number of currently held documents, and a radio ID will not make you more secure.....so why do it?

Answer: Because you cannot be tracked 24/7, from space, with a magnetic swipe card.