PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar NZ Pay
Thread: Jetstar NZ Pay
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2009, 01:57
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so where are your statistics?
Airline accident ratings

One of many... but if you don't know how to use Google, I can't help you.

Do you have inside information that you would like to share? Have you been involved in their training or being a recipient of their training system?
I do have lots of inside info, but I'm not posting it here!

I have been involved with the Easyjet training department, and have two close friends who are senior training captains at Ryanair. I also had links to the training department at Go when it still existed, and worked for Buzz briefly when they were still in business. I also have some friends in Southwest. The selection and training in all of them is, or was, solid.

However all that is pretty much irrelevant. All these airlines started from scratch and grew very, very quickly. With all the training and flying risk that entails, it is actually pretty amazing that they got through their initial growth phase with no incidents. It is pretty much solely down to insistence on high standards at all times.

low cost should not equal low pay! Southwest being the perfect example!!
Sure, but the difference is that Southwest is a mature airline, and has had plenty of time to get to the position that it is. Now they are over the lean early years, they are probably the best airline to work for in the US. I think all low-cost airlines should be like that, and certainly Easyjet and Ryanair pay very competitive salaries. However, new low-cost airlines, and Jetstar is definitely one of those, they need a chance to get established, and their survival in the first five years or so is absolutely dependent on keeping costs rigidly under control.

I'm not an advocate of low pay, I'm like everyone else and would like as much as I can get. But I am also a realist who sees that the initial salary offer is just a beginning point. Market forces will almost certainly make pilot retention an issue when the economy picks up. T&Cs will then improve. it's an old, old pattern.

The smart pilot looks beyond the figures on the contract and thinks a few years ahead. There is no doubt that Jetstar is a great opportunity for many. Sitting on the sideline pretending to be standing on principle hurts only one party... and it isn't Jetstar or those that work there. It's pretty easy to see who will advance farther and faster, and it isn't the self-righteous turboprop and GA drivers...