PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 17th Feb 2009, 21:08
dwhcomputers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T53

Looking in my log book from when I was stationed at Swanton Morley in the late 60s The T53B XV951 arrived at Swanton in May/June 1968 I had my first trip in it on the 21/6/68 with Duggie King I had a further 5 trips in it in August with Alan Pond and Robin Miller. The T53B was then lined up for a launch it was found that the ailerons’ were jammed solid . It was then found that the bare metal edges of the ailerons’ had bounced over the wing forming a solid lock. A sheet metal worker from Slingsbys came the next day and trimmed and inch or so of sheet metal off the ailerons’ using a pair of tin snips It seems the method of retrieval was also part of the problem To retrieve the T53B back to the launch point two tubes (one in each wing ) with a single sprung wheel were inserted into holes in the wing and then the tail was hooked onto a small dolly connected to a land rover and the aircraft was towed backwards, the trainee sitting in the front seat was suppose to hold the stick steady to stop the controls from crashing onto the stops. Originally Slingsbys said we could tow it backwards at up to 30mph!!
I believe that the staff were not happy with the repair and the machine disappeared to Slingsbys until November just before the fire. My next trips are recorded with Alan Pond and Ian Macleod the 15/11/68. No courses were normally held in January each year (overhaul of equipment) but I had an aero tow in the T53B with Duggie King on the 23/01/69 when we looped it as well as doing some spins and stalls. Shortly after that the aircraft left Swanton and I believe the order for a further 39 was cancelled.

Last edited by dwhcomputers; 18th Feb 2009 at 14:06.