PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin trains RAAF pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2002, 06:09
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
34 SQN have a unique requirement when it come to VIP command in that in order to have a VIP command a pilot has to have a B Cat command. Briefly, when a pilot comes off conversion he has either a D Cat copilots rating (if he is straight off pilot's course) or, if he has significant previous experience he may have a D or C Cat Command (dependant upon previous experience).

In order for this pilot to get a B Cat command in order to act as a VIP captain he/she would have to gain a pre-requisite number of command and total hours on type. In a herc squadron this may not even happen in the first tour on type regardless of previous experience.

Without knowing the specifics involved with this situation I would suggest the RAAF see flying with DJ as the ideal way for these pilots to gain experience on that particular aircraft to gain the required B Cat command.

Another point to note is that the pilots posted to fly this latest and greatest thing would have to have at least 2 and probably more likely 3 tours on heavy multi engined aircraft, most likely are QFI's and probably have at least one tour on 707s behind them.

Another point, the 32 SQN B200's are on the military register, have been for over 2 years. The Army still have theirs on the civil register I believe. On that point I also seem to recall the Army placing some of their pilots with the RFDS when they first began introducing the B200 in order to gain some experience on the aircraft.

As difficult as it is for me to believe, I think the RAAF may have actually made a good decision with the DJ placement. Seems to be a win win for all parties.