PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flights at risk as pilots refuse to accept 'demeaning' ID cards
Old 17th Feb 2009, 10:29
Jofm5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JOFM and all the others that think these are reasonable - tell you what - why don't YOU guys trial the ID card. We'll wait a few years to see what the goverment and police do with YOUR data and then we'll see eh. Just look what Stella Rimmington, former head of the UK security services has said today. Basically the government use scare tactics about terrorism to pass laws that restrict civil liberties. I really can't understand why some people don't get it. This is purely about the government having more control over you. Many people fought and died to preserve freedoms in this country, it is beholden on us to keep up the fight and most of you are failing at that duty.
I'm sick of sanctimonious dogooders who think all this stuff is OK, because it only effects someone else.
Sanctimonious dogooder I am not thank you very much.
I do think your very much misled if you think all your information that has got you your airside pass is not already on a computer and free for the government to abuse at their will.

You missed my point entirely. The card itself is innoccuous - its like your airside pass but hell it contains a chip - and on that chip is a very limited amount of data - just enough to verify you as to who you are on the spot. Now if your thinking its the database about all you have to go through to get that card then your wrong - RFID's store very little information - its measured in bytes.

Now if you want to treat me as some sort of idiot that "does not get it" thats fine I will treat you like a 1hr trial pilot in the same respect.Like I have said all the way through this I am not a proponent of the ID card but I also say the card itself is not so much of an issue. Now if you wish to discuss the databases stored about you and the card holder then fine enter into a sensible discussion about it - I have 19 years dealing with such so I think I may have some sort of relevant input.

Just going off on an emotional this ID card is wrong and why dont you trail it is like a kid throwing toys out of a pram. Why dont you think about why the card may be good and the infrastructure behind it being at fault being a cause for concern. Although again - I will point out they SHOULD already have that information on you anyway.

I dont see above where I said it was reasonable - I did say it was understandable considering the capabilities entrustes to pilots hands.