PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flights at risk as pilots refuse to accept 'demeaning' ID cards
Old 17th Feb 2009, 09:52
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JOFM and all the others that think these are reasonable - tell you what - why don't YOU guys trial the ID card. We'll wait a few years to see what the goverment and police do with YOUR data and then we'll see eh. Just look what Stella Rimmington, former head of the UK security services has said today. Basically the government use scare tactics about terrorism to pass laws that restrict civil liberties. I really can't understand why some people don't get it. This is purely about the government having more control over you. Many people fought and died to preserve freedoms in this country, it is beholden on us to keep up the fight and most of you are failing at that duty.
I'm sick of sanctimonious dogooders who think all this stuff is OK, because it only effects someone else.

This is one of my favourite poems which i beleive is relevent in all issues of civil liberties.

In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up.

Those of you that think this is OK, coz it only applies to us - think about the above!

You think we should have ID before getting on the aircraft - hey guess what - we do, its called and airside ID pass, and once we are all forced to have these big brother stazi papers do you know what we will use to get airside? yep, the same airside ID pass as today. And guess what - quite a few pilots in my company are EU, non-UK, citizens, so i'd have to have an ID card, and they wouldn't.

And those of you who think we are being snobby with comments about security, if you had to deal with BAA 'security' staff every day you would form the same opinion. The weakest link in the chain will still be some guy dragged out of the neares job centre, not professional pilots / engineers / ATCO's etc.