PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spinning - recommendations please
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2009, 20:58
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
surely something that can save your life cant be wasted time or money.
studen, you need to read back the posts. Spin training does NOT save your life. What does save your life is training on incipient stall/spin recognition and recovery, and learning about typical stall/spin scenarios and how to avoid them.

People that get into a spin by accident are likely to do so at low level where all the spin training in the world is not going to buy you enough altitude to recover. You don't spin accidentally during cruise flight, at cruise altitude, unless you do something exceedingly stupid.

The only people that get into a spin these days are people that deliberately want to spin an aircraft, either because they are testing the aircraft to its limits, or because they're flying aerobatics.

Aerobatics in general improves your handling skills which is beneficial for normal flying. Of course. But the "spin recovery" portion of aerobatics is so far removed from normal flying that you really won't need that particular skill in normal flying. Doing very steep turns (75 degrees AoB = 4G) is arguably a better way of spending your time and money than spinning if all you want is to improve your straight and level flying skills.

I have recently taken two multi-1000 hour ATPLs up in the R2160 to show them what a spin looks like. They had never spun an aircraft during their entire careers. Does that make them less safe? I don't think so: they were perfectly able to recognize all the pre-stall/spin warnings and knew what avoiding action to take. We only spun the aircraft after we deliberately ignored all the warnings. (And yes, the R2160 is cleared for intentional spinning, and I've had extensive training in spinning it.)