PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - McRae Crash & Fatal Accident Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2009, 17:31
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Gents I am sorry if suggesting that a change in rules may help to reduce the number of incidents we have but I really think it is important to grasp that in Colins case - no low flying rules were probably broken and yet massive - ultimatley proven - risks were taken.

Surely this must leave us wondering whether a tightening up on the rules - similar to thast which we in the CAT face every day via the Ops Manual would help!!

I accept that rules themselves will not prevent people from breaking them, but for the few that think - this is OK, I am not doing anything wrong, whizzing along the deck away from persons, property or animals - it SHOULD therefore be safe - might be spared a similar event.

I am not entirely sure that we should be afraid of sensible legislation.

It may be a "Nanny" culture but history repeatedily shows us that some people need nannying!!!

Please do not think I am innocent or holier than thou as I too have exploited to full gamit of the law "For some fun" but on reflection the risks I have taken have never really been justifiable.

I hope I have "got it out of my system" but I am pretty sure I had some luck in my bucket at the time.

Like I siad earlier, I have no idea where we would start, even if there was a will to do so. But to do nothing - surely that is the biggest crime of all - let us at least discuss the possibilities of tighter rules for this kind of flying.