PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spinning - recommendations please
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2009, 15:57
Final 3 Greens

Its about sensible risk management (IMHO)

Let's just stand back for a minute and consider when and why a PPL may encounter a spin.

The highest probability (IMHO) is from mishandling the controls at lower speeds, whilst one can provoke a spin from an accelerated stall, it's more likely that the base/final turn at low level will be the culprit.

Thus I support the initial approach that training should be focused on avoiding the stall that is a precursor to the spin.

That, at least in my thinking is the highest probability cause for lower houred pilots, so lots of slow flying (really controlling the aircraft close to the stall and recognising the visual picture, the different sounds and the 'feel; of the controls/buffet) and dealing with stalls and incipient spins to build recognition, avoidance and quick recovery would seem to make sense at first. This should include flying safe 'go arounds' to avoid departure stalls.

Once the PPL has gained some confidence and hours, then s/he will wish to start flying cross country journeys and exposing him/herself to new risks, such as taking aggressive avoiding action in the cruise and then may find themselves in a spin with enough altitude to recover.

At this stage, it seems sensible to at least understand the mechanics of how to set about recovering an aircraft that has departed, using a spin cleared aircraft (since obviously some types cannot be intentionally spun and you can't always practice on your usual mount.)

So spin (or areo) training seems to make sense at this stage.

Some people like eharding and Gorrilla obviosly get a kick out of it (good for you guys ), some others (me included) don't like it - David Houl's description made me laugh, as it was close to the bone for me - but whatever one's perspective, it makes sense to get some training.

For me, its about sensible risk mitigation that changes with pilot experience and flight profile.