PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 16th Feb 2009, 14:51
Rugbyears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately there appears to be a persistent degree of negative postings throughout this thread, sadly such post merely reflect the present economic climate. However, I still retain a small bud of optimism. I sincerely feel this present economic crisis (correction) is not simply an altogether bad time for wannabes. Yes of course, I would be foolish to advise most, if not all to enrol on Oxfords latest integrated programme. Nevertheless, the notion of using the following 12 months or so to embark on completing the study of ATPL material via distance learning programme as a good option. This ensures the student time to budget their training appropriately to their finances, if not present an opportunity to indulge in part-time employment if absolutely necessary. I feel those of you presently studying for you examinations, try and remain focused as upon you training eventuating you may well be in a prime position. Nevertheless, I maintain those of you embarking on commercial flying as a career do so knowing the full extent of the situation. Remember, once you are qualified, you will most probably find yourself competing for positions with very experienced pilots. Unfortunately, those newly qualified pilots over the age of 30 will find it difficult, sadly, at 32, I am one of those; I am trusting on a strong university background and what we oldies term ‘life experience’ to negotiate the obligatory interview.

Like all cycles, things will recover; unfortunately, few appreciate the time scale required. I remain positive and feel we will begin a small turnaround by the end of this year, although as industry it may be 2012 before we feel this turn around. That said, I regularly revaluate and shift opinions appropriately

As I’ve stated on several occasions, I do not, nor possess having a thorough understanding of this plight, as the likes of the well conversed WWW, therefore, I suggest all wannabes take heed of his advice. Certainly, if you choose not to agree, please don’t be foolish enough to not question!

NB.... I may apply for one of those KFC positions...!!