PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA jet landing incident at LCY
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2009, 18:48
TMAPAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well in your own words that's already two steps removed from actually becoming major or fatal but I'll bite and ask, exactly how was this so close to a major event? What would have to have happened in this instance for it to become either of those (although the latter would of course necessitate the former)?
If you read what I wrote carefully, I stated that we shouldn't forget that how close this COULD have been to a more serious event.

For instance, if the landing was off centre, or even being unable to keep the a/c in a straight line by using the breaks, you have a nice grass verge, followed by a very deep dock either side of the landing strip.

Don't be blind to understanding and accepting that there could have been many different results to the one we saw on Friday.

Friday being the best out of the bunch id say.

First of all I am not getting into a pecker swinging contest. This option may be available in a turbo prop, jets on the other hand may not have this option specifically at Lcy where a multitude of factors will be working against you i.e short field,full flap,speed brake, spoiler deployed and ofcourse the 5-8 second delay from idle to full power.

Of couse, the power is less instant, FYI I fly the 85 in and out of city. As I said before, you can judge where abouts the touch down is going to happen, therefore, if it's going to be late, round out and climb out, even if you touch half way or further down the runway, you will still have enough time to close the spoiler, retract flaps by a few % push those levers to full power, roll out for a few seconds and re-climb.

Due to the steep approach, in the flare, you still have enough speed to gain enough lift to conduct a go-around. Shallow climb out allows the speed gain and time for the engines to hit the correct power setting.

Alot of the late touch downs are due to excess speed gained in the decent, creating the lift we want rid of!