PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA jet landing incident at LCY
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2009, 07:41
XT668

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CHALLENGING.

Yes it's challenging. The main reason it's challenging is that the RJ100 or BAe146-300 is just so much longer than the original concept build, which was the 146-100 or RJ75. If the flare angle is even slightly wrong then you run the risk of a tail strike - that's why for a period BA had PM monitoring the pitch angle and calling it out where necessary. The aircraft is marginal into LCY, and when conditions are gusty (i.e.often) it is much much worse. Don't even then consider the tail strike potential if the speed is wrong.
Anyone doubting this should watch a well handled arrival in perfect conditions and compare the tail clearance of an RJ touchdown to everything else. (One reason why I think the Emb will be better, even if it has much less flattering main gear.)
Having landed on the numbers, the spoilers generally then require a significant back pressure input to prevent the nose crashing down rather hard. Hmmm.
I will not shed a tear if I never have to land there again, horrid place, and yes, even worse than Courchevel, which has the best aid to acceleration and deceleration I know of!