PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - McRae Crash & Fatal Accident Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2009, 08:05
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
I think reading the report and hearing the witness reports, video etc, I reach only one conclusion, thank god is was not me.

I have done exactly the same type of flying both authoprised (in a olive green suit) and unauthorised (in small twin engine turbines).

Once I descended into a wooded valley on a HEMs shout (way too low but "self" justified as I was on a "shout") ... turning gently and BAM...wires right in front of me. Hot wet feeling in the seat of the pants and my superior skills saved my ass from my inferior decision making.

A freind said recently that when a pilot is born he arrives with 2 buckets, one is full of luck and the other is empty and marked "Experience". The trick he said, is to fill up the bucket of experience before you empty the bucket of luck.

Let us not forget the sheer thrill and exhileration of pure flying just for the bloody fun of it. Nothing beats a low fast run across open ground in good light, especially when getting paid for it as we were in the mil.

Flying attracts people who seems pre-disposed to push the envelope to the limit. Thrill seekers and risk takers, where would we be without their contribution in the past.

I think Colins accident says only one thing to all of us - IT CAN, AND WILL AT TIMES, GO HORRIBLY WRONG.

It is very easy to critise Colin for the "risk taking" element of the accident but I will not do so, because I have done the same thing only the outcome being very different.

In conclusion, flying below 500 feet is not illegal provided the reqs of Rule 5 & 6 are met. But is it sensible. Probably not. In CAT OPS the Operator is required to make statements about minimum cruising altitudes to try and prevent this kind of (unauthorised experience enhancement).

Some how we have to create rules that take away the temptation of lesser exeprienced pilots from pushing the envelope too far.

The true lesson in Colins accident is to be seklf critical of all (fun flying) decisions that we make. Play the vidoe tape forwrd to the future and ask, how will this be interpreted if it goes wrong.

Today I try to take as few risks as possible in my flying as I have experienced enough thrills for my one life and yes most were self generated. I would like to say that younger less experienced pilot should heed the words of the wise and the lesson from Colin would be "Never to try it yourself" but this is unrealistic, just as it was when I started out and the old and bold handed down their wisdom.

In the end I think the "2 Buckets" analogy of my friend probably applies to all of us. That and remembering that a suprior pilot uses his superior knowledge to prevent him having to use his superior skills.