PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue Cabin Crew EBA
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2009, 06:04
vb_girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to save $8 million dollars in the Cabin Crew department.

1. Reduce the number of Development Managers and move these resources back into flying. Most cabin crew don't need to be micro-managed.

2. Reduce the number of Propels, thus reducing the amount of hours that need to be allocated to each CS to complete this requirement each month. One or two Propels per crew member per month is sufficient or a system where those that aren't meeting expectations or are excelling are given feedback. Feedback saying that crew are meeting the expectations of their job is redundant.

3. Roster crew more efficiently. There are crew members who consistently receive rosters between 130-135 hours and others that only receive 90-100 hours. Many flights aren't crewed until several days before and rely on AVL resources - this costs money and would be avoided if rostering was more efficient.

4. Get rid of CCOS. What is the point of having an operational support team for cabin crew? Shouldn't our direct managers be providing this type of support?

People ARE thinking longterm when they talk about voting no. Once conditions are gone, they are gone for good.
Well said. Do not be fooled into thinking that we will be able to negotiate better conditions when the economy recovers. Why would they pay us more when we're happy to work for less?

I accepted a job that meant I was away from home for half the month and acknowledged the fact that I would be in an environment pressurised at 6,000 to 8,000 ft. However, I see my salary as compensation for the unique lifestyle this job demands from me and the environment in which I work.

I can't speak for everyone but I know I wouldn't be doing this job for a salary of $46k per year (with superannuation only being paid on the $36k base). The other $10-20k we earn is from overtime, overnight allowances, AVL days, and crew commissions. Take most of that away and it's just another below-average income job.

I'm happy to negotiate my conditions to keep the company running but NOT until they reshuffle resources and really make some cost-savings before trying to pay cabin crew less. Why should any of us take a pay-cut to fund poor management decisions and pay rises for other departments and managers?