PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ Flight 901
Thread: NZ Flight 901
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2009, 00:18
malcolmyoung90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
henry: Apparently it's about 4,500km from Auckland to Ross Island. I relate it to the distance across the Australian continent - so for example, 3,300km from Sydney to Perth. A trek taken on a weekly basis by football teams, and other sporting codes, no to mention all the other types of travellers. So, in that respect, I wouldn't have really considered the journey from Auckland to Ross Island to be that much immensely longer. Not in the same way as say a trip from Australia to Europe is.

Would they be content with that ?
Well, that's a great question, but one that I couldn't really be in a position to answer.

If my memory serves me correct, the 25th anniversary was recognised in a fairly significant way, with services held in Auckland and many other NZ cities and towns, as well as MP's and others attending services in Antarctica. So there was still a fair amount of support and recognition from the NZ people, at least 4 years ago. I would have thought that would still be the case today.

I've got no idea if 10%, 50% or 90% of the relatives would be interested in a flight to or around the crash site. It's something that could easily be determined by at least offering it to them. I didn't know of anyone of the victims and have no connection with any of their relatives.

Going on newspaper reports in previous years, there seemed to be a certain level of interest, but wheter this was representative of the view of a few or dozens, is hard to say.

If it were me, then I would definitely want that opportunity.