PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA 61.75 'English Proficiency'
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2009, 15:35
julian_storey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOSE X is absolutely right. There has been much confusion over this.

If you have a standalone FAA licence (any licence PPL, CPL, ATP - doesn't matter) you can log onto the FAA website, pay $2 with your credit card and a new plastic licence will appear in the post shortly thereafter bearing the necessary 'English Proficiency' statement.

If however you have a 61.75 FAA licence (ie. one given to you on the basis of a foreign licence as opposed to one you got having passed an FAA written exam and an FAA flight test) then it is more complex.

You can either:

1) Do what I think Bose X did with his, go to the States and present yourself at a FSDO (having first made an appointment and ALSO had your UK JAA licence verified by the CAA) whereupon they will issue you with a replacement licence FOR FREE or

2) Track down the FAA DPE who operates in Europe and he / she can (apparently) issue you with a new licence. I added apparently because there appears to be some confusion as to whether he / she can. If they can, then they will be allowed to charge for the licence issue.

I saw a return flight from London to Vegas advertised on the web for just £260 a few days ago. Rather than spend money on petrol driving to find this DPE, then paying for him to issue a new licence, why not spend a little more and combine sorting your licence out with a long weekend in the Las Vegas sunshine :-)

Last edited by julian_storey; 12th Feb 2009 at 22:40.