PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sex and the Naval Aviator - Video
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2009, 09:00
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JG

You are right to want to quantify things - we are CONTROLLERS, after all!

In fact, it might be an idea to conduct further studies to win over the very few 'doubting Thomases'.

However, I think what Ross (or is it Ian?) is trying to say is that you don't need studies nor statistics to tell you that water is wet, ice is cold or that fire is hot. When you see something so obviously correct, you can accept that at face value. Soooo many people feel that, after watching TFA, Frank Dully and the USAF chap were spot-on - if you want confirmation, ask the wives/husbands!

The only unfortunate aspect of TFA is that some aviators can't remember the gist of the whole presentation and assume that because we are predictable, emotionally-distant, mission-orientated, compartmentalising controllers that we ALL are destined to become failing aviators.

That, of course, is not the point the guys were trying to make. Just that people like us need our skills to do what we do but if there are too many outside distractions, we can lose the ability to compartmentalise; sometimes with disastrous consquences. Furthermore, it is only our peer group whom we will listen - for which I can vouch.

Very occasionally, you find someone who says
"Its all bollox' ....but everyone in the room knows differently as that person is usually the most distant, overcontrolling compartmentaliser on the unit. Perhaps they are so 'controlling' that they do not like being 'discovered' and that they see a correct assessment of their inner-being as a threat to their individuality or, at least, some form of control over them. They don't like it and as they say,

"They exit stage left".

Now, if you don't mind, I must go for a blast in my new Porsche but, really, I'm fine thank you!

flip

Last edited by flipster; 12th Feb 2009 at 09:22.