PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 12th Feb 2009, 08:44
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 Vanguards (ASK-21) as I remember at 618VGS - we got all the K21's eventually apart from 2 which remained at Syerston. I always thought Catterick was small to operate the K21 on the eagle winch but West Malling was a fantastic site for the Air Cadet Operation, hard surfaces, large grass areas, big hangars, unobstructed approaches, uncontrolled airspace, no other major airfield users - no wonder they built all over it (wuckfits !!)

Personally I thought that the K21 and the current Grobs were chalk and cheese - the K21 was a fantastic aeroplane all round and the Grob a real plastic pig. Heavy controls, not enough rudder, ran out of elevator quickly with a heavy front cockpit load and insufficient rear trim. No suprise that Grob could deliver so many so quickly - they had a bundle of them sat on the shelf because the Germans did not want them........... and they know a thing or two about sailplanes.................. :-) - IIRC Group Captain J*** D******** was the agent for Grob at the time and may have been a powerful lobbyist

I always thought it was a shame Slingsby did not licence build the K21 like they did the T61 - that would have made production and delivery much faster. I was told that Schleicher would not lend out moulds anymore though becuase they had been stung by Centrair building the Pegasus 101 from ASW19 moulds and either undercutting prices or not paying licencing fees (can't remember which) - although that might just be rumour

Arc