PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finding a job in Canada?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2009, 22:20
Longdog

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It is pretty easy economics, a Canadian low time pilot will stay and work in Canada, allowing the Canadian industry to prosper as a whole. Where as a low time pilot from some other country will most likely go home after their visa expires, taking their new found experience and talents home with them.
The way the system works, if there is a need in excess of what Canada, and Canadians can fulfill, then by all means, come on over and take advantage of some great flying and learning.
But, if the need for excess pilots is no longer there, then it is reasonable to assume that we take care of own first, and only when the need arises to hire foreigners again arises, will we hire foreigners.
The industry here in Canada is in for some very tough years, and saying to a low time pilot that it is fine to come over and spend a ton of money when the chance of being hired is almost zero, I think is irresponsible.
Right now, as I look out my door, I see 8 helicopters on the ground with no work, and another 3 that are on contract.
I look out my window and I have two 10,000 hour pilots clearing snow in the customers parking lot that is empty, and has been all week. We stopped paying for a company to come clear the snow for us.
The front desk has a 12,000 hour pilot sitting behind it, because the last receptionist is on reduced hours, the other two were let go.
We have all taken a 10% wage cut, 20% for me and the Chief Eng. until things improve.
We were a medium sized company with 13 heli,s, now reduced to 8.
We used to have 8 pickups on lease over the winter, up to 12 in the summer, only 2 today.
We used to bring on a 100 hr pilot most winters to mentor and bring up through the ranks, not this year, nor for the forseeable future.
We used to hire foreign pilots, but right now we have Canadians who have 5000 hours out of work, and you think that we should consider hiring some foreigner before one of these guys, WHY, because you think it,s your fricken right.
I say, save your money until the economy has improved, and has been improving for a few years, and when we need extra guys, we,ll be happy to have you back.