PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aberdeen Runway Occupancy
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2009, 06:38
throw a dyce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiltie,
We introduced standard gaps to stop this sort of thing happening.On 16 you need a minimum7 miles gap to get an outbound away,without having to resort to the handbrake turn at the end.It took a lot to convince the powers that be of the need,and the process is still ongoing.Actually it took an incident as usual.
I can't speak for the two people you mention,but I know what it is like to land a jet at ABZ.As part of out training many moons ago,we got to fly the Trident 3 sim at Heathrow.I landed it at ABZ.That was interesting,just getting it to stop was the major issue,so I can understand where you are coming from.
Regarding the 2 individuals,then I have had issues with a few there,and they are quite capable of being just as aggressive with their fellow controllers.I'm sure that the powers that be are taking note.
As far as ATSOCAS goes.Ok you may get a RAS,but that isn't really going to save you from the military banging out of low level,straight up.You may get some warning from us,but we could be busy doing our primary tasks.If you see that airspace from our side,then it's taking a real gamble sometimes to go in Class G,even though you know the difference between RAS and RIS.