PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aberdeen Runway Occupancy
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2009, 23:08
Kiltie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throwadyce

I sympathise with your working conditions, which are well known as diverse and arguably undermanned. However, pilots have their own "pushed to the limit" sh*t to deal with in their own operation. It is not least helped by MATS and its own local procedures differing from the publications that pilots have access to.

What is unforgiveable is aggression demonstrated behind the "safehouse" of the microphone. It's cowardly.

I, and I doubt the thread starter, had or ever practice the disregard of everyone else by manoeuvering our aeroplanes at a pace that suits their own whim on the day. I fly 160kts to 4 dme as standard for the hell of it every day unless otherwise instructed, but inside 4 dme my concentration on an 1829m runway without fast exits is focussed on stopping a large aeroplane safely; the stress of which is compounded with the knowledge that there is someone up my chuff waiting on a landing clearance.

I think the ideal, but unachievable scenario, is to put your two aggressive colleagues in the aeroplane driver's seat and see just how their ringpiece twitches with their feet on the pedals and trying to turn the nose gear tiller to the sound of the tyres parting company with the rims on the turnoff. It looks damned slow from your tower; I've seen it for myself up there.

PS Some operators that fly in the warzone are not "oblivious to everything" as you describe. The one operator I know you have concerns over before has a robust Class G briefing to pilots, and conditions of operating therein (ie mandatory RAS, mustn't downgrade to RIS intentionally) than operators of heavier, faster types, including mine!

Tinnies cracked open in the spirit of good comms

Last edited by Kiltie; 10th Feb 2009 at 23:20.