PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aberdeen Runway Occupancy
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2009, 21:44
throw a dyce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiltie,
It would be interesting to know where the SATCO was from.
I have noticed over the last few years a change in the standard at ABZ.Perhaps there are one or two who are at their operating limit,both on tower and radar.
There are a huge amount of extra tasks we have to do,especially in the tower which can make a difficult job almost impossible.However the tower has been loaded up beyond the limit with training,to keep the customers happy.The co-ordination that the tower is required to do is ridiculous.The amount of vehicles that the tower has to speak to is too much.You get bombarded from all directions,and have to integrate all this on to 3 runways.I have worked elsewhere in the world,and if you can do ABZ tower,then you could validate in a hell of a lot of other places.
I personally hate doing the tower now,although I try not to let it get to the level of the individuals that have been mentioned in dispatches.Perhaps it is time to do something about it,(get out somehow),before my health suffers again.
There is also disquiet that the airport side gets a raw deal from unions and management,who really have little idea what goes on there.I'm sure Nats down south haven't got a clue about the operation.It's just done as it has always been,on the cheap.
Perhaps we are getting sick and tired of always having to provide this first class service ,with 3rd class conditions.We give services outside CAS,to operators taking shortcuts,when they are surrounded by military.We give services to heli training school,inside CAS,which increases the workload vastly.This is not our core task.We talk to 80% of outbounds unlike many units.The airspace to the south of ABZ is a total war zone,but lots of operators bimble along in there,oblivious to everything.We are not paid for any of this.
Anyway keep smiling and open another tinny.Wait for tomorrows bombardment.