PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stay Away From Cabair Bournemouth
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2009, 14:11
Keith.Williams.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Mr Blue 1

I posted a response to your comments, but it was removed by one of the Moderators. A copy will be placed on the notice board so that you and all of the other students can consider it.

To Rob The Moderator.

The Certificate was introduced because it is a CAA requirement (specified in the Standards Document for Ground Schools). I first became aware of this after a PPRUNE member asked about such certificates here on PPRUNE. When I reasearched the matter I found the requirement. At the moment very few schools issue them, but all ground school students are entitled to receive one.

The grading system was introduced because some students had asked for one. You will also find students asking for a grading system in the BGS Website. For fairly obvious reasons, such systems will be popular with students who expect to do well, but less so with those who expect to do badly.

Whilst you may critiscise the lack of clarrity in the wider field of Flight Training, the EPTA ground school grading system is entirely transparent.

It includes 3 pages.

The first page gives the student's name, the grade awarded and the date.

The second page gives a list of the results for all 14 of the JAR exams. This is something that many students in many schools have been asking for for a long time. The CAA issue a results sheet for each exam sitting, but they do not issue a single overall record. In many cases the students have lost their CAA resulst list by the time they start their commercial flying training, so they have to call back to the school to get a free replacement (or pay £30 to the CAA for one) It also gives details of attendance record and attitude to training. There is nothing about nice handwriting or shiny shoes I'm afraid. Many students wear trainers with their uniform, so shiny shoes are out of the question.

The third page shows a table specifying exactly how the grading system works.

You may question whether such a certificate has any value, but it is not reasonable to argue that it is not transparent. Even if only a single school were to award such certificates, any reader could immediately understand how the grade was determined.

A number of the comments made by Mr Blue were quite simply untrue.

Last edited by Keith.Williams.; 10th Feb 2009 at 19:23.