PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One Key Fits All Boeing Flight Decks: Lord Janner
Old 7th Oct 2001, 15:14
virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chatham Dockyard
I totally agree. The amount of cr*p being spouted not only here but in the press/media is .....

Gaunty and Centre Command are right.
What matters is what happens on the ground.
Hijackers aren't going to be stopped by the CAA's daft kneejerk reaction of immediately banning flight deck visits, or locked doors.

Also, and I realise this may be a more controversial view, but I think if security changes are so extreme that our lifestyles are dramatically changed (all our lifestyles, not just as aviators), then the terrorists have already won a major victory.
We have to accept some risk, or life will become unbearably restrictive. Two hour check-ins for domestic flights, for example, are unacceptable.
Plastic cuttlery, plastic 'glasses', where do you stop? Virtually anything can be used or adapted as a weapon by someone determined enough. Strip searches before flight? We have to keep some sense of proportion or the security restrictions will be unbearable.

I know a disgruntled/mentally deranged Fedex employee in the junpseat decided to try to get revenge on his company, but how many hijackers have asked permission to visit the flight deck?
Let's keep some sense of proportion.