PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flight school show / fair at Heathrow ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2009, 20:18
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to give you a bit of history.

In the old days before JAR Intergrated was a defined product which did allow you to bypass the BCPL to go directly to the RHS of a multicrew commercial aircraft. It was marketed as that and provided what it said on the tin.

After JAR its role in the training industry became very less secure as the license that you gained by doing both routes was exactly the same. A few operators decided to stick with what they knew and continued to recruit from Intergrated graduates only. Over the years econmics have changed and the old boys have retired and the Intergrated schools have lost there old boy networks. Modular graduates have got jobs in expanding regional operators who's training departments were made up of a mish mash of nationalitys and had significantly higher percentage of self improver/modular trained trainers. The old legacy airlines bean counters have worked out its more economic to hire from the regionals from current trained pilots. Again the modular guys do ok if not better and it dilutes the arguments that Intergrated are the best.

The Intergrated schools have now lost the market for the only way to be employed as a sub 300 hour FO. The marketing is getting desperate and some would say unethical.

For about 2 third's of wannabies the choice of where they are going to go is made up by either their parents or their financial situation. There are alot of young kids who really do believe that they will walk straight into a job after leaving integrated and are quite willing to put the whole of the thier familys combined capital on the line.

To be honest the posts I make arn't for these kids. Its the mums and dads who read pprune and the more mature wannabies who have a bit of life experience who can think for themselves. I have met a family who had decided that thier kid wasn't getting their house as collateral for an Oxford loan due to a discussion on PPrune. They were in discussing modular route. The kid was of course throwing a tantrum, it did make me smile when they produce the print out of the thread and the posts which were highlighted were WWW's and mine.