PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flight school show / fair at Heathrow ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2009, 18:23
Obs cop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I fear for the significant number of individuals who get sucked in by the hype, and for whom the horrible reality of the potential jobs market is just an uncomfortable truth.

The FTO's (and most are the same I hasten to add) have all had pieces in various flying magazines over the last 6 months saying there has never been a better time to train blah, blah, blah.

They should not be allowed to be irresponsible in using forecasts and predictions to encourage people to spend vast sums of money, simply because they cannot forsee credit crunches, 9/11, vast fuel price fluctuations.

I have never been to one of these fairs as I have never seen the need, but I would encourage anyone who does go to concentrate on facts not spin.

Facilities, pass rates, exam results, accomodation, training costs, fine fill your boots asking as much as you can think of (most of which I would argue could be obtained from the internet or a few phone calls).
Predictions for the most turbulent aviation jobs market in years with the fastest unemployment rise in years, global credit crunch, significant numbers of unemployed qualified pilots need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Would I travel from abroad for it, in my opinion, the cost of the ticket could be far better spent.

Obs