PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aberdeen Runway Occupancy
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2009, 17:31
Limpopo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who flies helis in and out of Aberdeen, I must say that ATC do good for both us and our FW brethren. Last week was a bit of a nightmare coming back from offshore when told to hold out at 30D from EGPD, due to SNOCLO initially, and then just waiting our turn to land. We were told we were No 8 and that was just RW traffic - there were FW in between.

After about 45 minutes of holding at various points we eventually went to Approach and then Director for our sequencing on to the ILS. It was all handled very well by courteous, professional controllers. On landing we saw about 3 FW waiting to go plus another 2 RW. They all had to be fitted in somewhere between all of the arrivals.

With regard to the individual on Tower as mentioned on the thread starter, there is only one that I have heard that can be like that. Usually it is when the pressure increases due to more than a couple of aircraft on frequency at the same time. I have heard that individual give a crew (unfortunately an operator no longer here) a real sharp talking to about their company ops and filing plans. Not sure it was necessary especially as it was a weekend and there is no GC, only TWR. It was difficult for everyone else to get their normal calls in. When this person had finished their rant, others got sharp replies as they tried to get their calls in for taxi, initial tower calls, etc, just because the controller was then trying to catch up with where everyone was!

Aberdeen ATC in general are a great bunch and will try their utmost when they can to speed every one on their way. Thanks everyone.