Thread: ADF
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2009, 23:08
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AM...? - Call it MW please...

Hola cubaclagan -
xxx
Remember many Ppruners are from the rest of the world, where a frequency "band" is not expressed (like in North America) by its modulation type. AM is a mode of radio transmission and not a "band". In the USA, they call the MW Medium Waves the "AM Band", and there is no LW "Long Waves" in use by the people to "listen to music" on their transistor radios.
xxx
Would it confuse people to mention that aviation VHF R/T is... using AM...?
And that HF sets often have a selector for AM, USB or LSB...
I listened to truckers CB "Good Buddies" on my HF when I was flying in USA...!
xxx
Sure - as you and others mention "do not use radio broadcast stations" for navigation, it remains though, that in North America, the FCC requires radio station identitifications "so many times per hour"... to confirm their location. With little airplanes in California, I often made a "KGIL" approach on 1260 kHz to land in Van Nuys, and listen to news on KCBS between Honolulu and Los Angeles on 1070... with the ADF pointing to the way I was going to... That is the way Lindbergh and Doolittle did it flying the mail in their days...
xxx
Not for navigation use, never meant to prevent you from getting a general idea of directions. At 30º West on the Atlantic, I always tuned BBC on 198 kHz on the ADF. If we lost our Doppler, our Loran-A and Consol, we could still get a QDM towards Ireland and UK thanks to... the BBC...!
xxx
What is your 10-4 by the way...?

Happy contrails